Established in 2009, the Ambassadors of Liberal Arts and Sciences are a select group of students in the University of Florida’s College of Liberal Arts and Sciences who have demonstrated outstanding academic success and student leadership.
Their objective is to assist the academic mission of the College by providing support to the staff of the Academic Advising Center. They meet this objective by serving as peer advisors, providing presentations on the College and its student services, giving a voice for the College and its student services, and serving as hosts in a variety of College functions.
Selection Process & Timeline
Each Spring semester, Liberal Arts and Sciences students entering their junior or senior year who have earned a 3.2 UF GPA or higher are invited via e-mail to apply.
The Advisory Board carefully reviews the students’ application materials, including letters of recommendation, resumes, and application essays. All eligible applicants are invited to participate in a group interview. After the group interview, a select group of applicants are invited for an individual interview. Due to the high volume of and caliber of applicants, the selection process is fairly competitive.
- Eligible students are welcome to come to a short information session where you can receive more information about the Ambassadors of Liberal Arts & Sciences and where you can ask questions to both the Faculty Advisors and current Ambassadors. Information sessions will take place in Farrior Hall, room 2000 on January 24th at 5:30 p.m. and on January 25th at 12:00 p.m.
- All eligible Liberal Arts and Sciences students are welcome to complete a membership application which includes the completed application packet, a resume, application essay, and a letter of recommendation. Please contact us with any questions about the application. Applications are due by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 3rd.
- All eligible applicants will participate in a group interview on Saturday, February 11th from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Candidates will participate in activities to demonstrate teamwork and leadership abilities.
- Selected candidates will then complete an individual interview. Interviews are 20 minutes in length and are completed by current CLAS Ambassadors and a Faculty Advisor. More information will be provided to selected candidates after the group interview process.
- Decisions will become available via email on Friday, March 3rd by 5:00pm. Candidates will receive notification if they were accepted, denied, or put on the “wait list.” There will be a small number of waitlist candidates that will be notified if there ever is an open space in the organization in the event that an ambassador cannot fulfill their membership duties.
- Please contact Nigel Richardson if you have any questions about the application or selection process.
The ALAS program is advised by Academic Advisors in CLAS. If you have a question or suggestion on the program, please contact any one of the Advisors.