- This event has passed.
Picture A Scientist: Film Screening & Discussion
October 9 - October 11
UF’s POLY/PMSE Chapter is organizing an online screening of the film ‘Picture a Scientist’ from October 9th till 11th, followed by a panel discussion held on October 12th from 5.00 p.m. to 6.15 p.m. with the participation of some of our own great female scientists on-campus serving as the panelists.
Sep 22, 2020 03:00 PM
Our current panel members include:
- Professor Coray Colina – Dept. of Chemistry
- Professor Ellen Martin – Dept. of Geology
- Professor Bahar Basim – Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
- Professor Gail Fanucci – Dept. of Chemistry
- Professor Jennifer Bizon – Dept. of Neuroscience
- Professor Laura Blecha – Dept. of Physics
- Professor Whitney Stoppel – Dept. of Chemical Engineering
- Professor Josephine Allen – Dept. of Materials Science & Engineering
This event is a great opportunity to understand the experience of female scientists and discuss important topics of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the scientific community.
Date/Time: The online screening of the movie will take place between October 9th till October 11th. Access the movie during the 72-hour window:
This will be followed up with a Q&A discussion on October 12th from 5.00 p.m. – 6.15 p.m. with the participation of some of our own great female scientists on-campus as the panelists.
Notes About Registration:
- *During registration, you will have the option to participate in both the screening and the discussion or pick one of them.
- *The registration will close on October 5th at 11.59 p.m. So please register before.
- *The participants registering for the screening will receive a unique access code from Kristin Cooney (Impact and Engagement at ROCO Films) – Your names and emails will be provided.
- *The registered participants for the Q&A discussion will receive a separate email with the zoom link information once the registration closes.
PICTURE A SCIENTIST chronicles the groundswell of researchers who are writing a new chapter for women scientists. Biologist Nancy Hopkins, chemist Raychelle Burks, and geologist Jane Willenbring lead viewers on a journey deep into their own experiences in the sciences, ranging from brutal harassment to years of subtle slights. Along the way, from cramped laboratories to spectacular field stations, we encounter scientific luminaries – including social scientists, neuroscientists, and psychologists – who provide new perspectives on how to make science itself more diverse, equitable, and open to all.
PICTURE A SCIENTIST was an official selection of the 2020 Tribeca Film Festival, postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The film’s virtual theatrical run reached 47 theaters across the USA in June 2020, and raised money for two organizations advancing women of color in STEM. More information, as well as a movie trailer, can be found at: https://www.pictureascientist.com/ and https://vimeo.com/405966332